Thursday, May 19, 2011

Aritar; As I See...


Aritar bring back my younger days with the feeling of nostalgia. As children when we saw army helicopter hovering over Aritar maneuvering to land and take off, we would run towards helipad in Pedong hoping that the helicopter would come to Pedong too. Thus our insatiate desire of seeing the helicopter would be fulfilled when the helicopter from Aritar eventually come to Pedong. Taking a glimpse of Aritar from the other side of the mountain may not enthrall anyone but the hidden beauty of the Aritar can be felt when one is in the bosom of Aritar.
It has not been very long that I am associated with this place. When I came to Rhenock in 2004 the first thing that I wanted was to venture out Aritar and unfold the mysteries of my childhood. When I visited Aritar physically I felt my childhood dream was fulfilled. A poetic afflatus seized me when I was in the bosom of Aritar. Though not a poet, I could help but mutter words of Robert Frost “Woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promised to keep miles to go before I sleep”. Later on, through my regular visits the hidden beauty of Aritar began to unfold before me like a movie. Irrespective of children, adults and elders, Aritar provides entertainment for everyone. Sightseeing, boat riding, bird watching and trekking are the main attractions. Boating in Lampokhari Lake is not only refreshing and soothing but also entertaining. A visit to Mankhim in a clear day provides an awesome view of the mountain range. One can find oneself ever close to nature when one looks at the crystal clear mountain in front and meditate on the wonders of creation. The serene and beautiful landscape of Dalapchand village should not be ignored. Green paddy fields during transplantation and yellow color during harvesting time is a treat to viewers. There are enough avenues for a nature lover to explore in Aritar. Its proximity with natural resources puts Aritar on the pedestal in the vicinity. A visit to Aritar is a must cuisine in my menu those who come to visit from India and abroad. Whoever has visited, all have treasured the fond memories of beauty of Aritar. Aritar Dalapchand Lampokhari Development Society had done a yeoman service in bringing Aritar in the world map of tourism. It is in this context Lamphokhari festival, derives its importance. During this festival, peoples from different parts can muse into the social, economical, natural and environmental ethos of Sikkim. Aritar, if we look back three years from now, was not so fervent. The influx of picnickers during holidays is enough proof of how known Aritar has become.
Progress and development are the order of the day but we need to preserve the flora and fauna of the place and not displace them. People’s participation and awareness is of prime importance. In the regard I am of the view that ADLDS is working for the good of general public.The cameo inning begun by ADLDS must be hailed. Aritar, no doubt will be a place well known in the horizon of this earth.


By
Rev. Father Francis Banerjee [V.P. St Joseph's School , Rhenock. East Sikkim]

No comments:

BRIEF HISTORY OF GOVT. SR. SEC. SCHOOL RHENOCK,

  It is evident that human have created history with the desire of achieving more. Territorial expansions by waging war between kingdoms are...